An educational Bursary for N.I. Veterinary Practitioners to further expertise in any field of clinical veterinary science
£2000 Annual Award
Rules of the Award – 2021
1. Applicants must be veterinary surgeons working in first opinion or referral clinical practice in Northern Ireland on a permanent basis, and their registered practice a customer of VSSCo.
2. Projects should be innovative and involve either research or study into an area of veterinary medicine which would be applicable to vets in practice in NI.
3. Applicants may re-apply in subsequent years.
4. The Adjudication Panel will consist of a minimum of four selected from the following: President of AVSPNI, President of NIVA, a present or past NI member of the RCVS Council, the Chairman of the Board of VetNI, and two Directors of VSSCo, or, in the event of these individuals being either unavailable or an applicant, by their organisation’s nominated representative. One VSSCo Director must always be on the panel.
5. Candidates short listed for the award will be invited to make a short presentation/answer questions about their project to the adjudication panel. This year,due to Covid, this is likely to be a virtual meeting.
6. The VSSCo award winner will be required to give a presentation on their clinical project funded by the award, at a meeting of the profession in Northern Ireland most appropriate to the topic under consideration. The time and location of this presentation will be determined by the Adjudication Panel in consultation with the applicant and the professional bodies in Northern Ireland.
7. If no applicant presents a suitable project, the Adjudication Panel reserve the right (in consultation with VSSCo) to withhold the award.
8. A maximum of one award will be given each year; in the event of a second excellent project, the candidate should be advised to reapply the following year.
9. In all cases the decision of the Adjudication Panel will be final.
10. The Bursary money will be paid to the winning applicant as mutually agreed with the adjudication panel but if the applicant fails complete their project in the agreed timeline and give feedback to the NI veterinary profession as per point 4, then VSSCo reserves the right to request a refund of the money.